As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Last Updated on March 5, 2021 by Alex Falasca
Busy working all day and not being able to water your lawn regularly? Does this result in your lawns looking unappealing and messy while your neighbour’s is spick and span? If you’re reading this for that purpose, let me tell you that you’ve made quite a smart move by opting for a sprinkler system.
To make things clear cut and straight forward for you, I’ve handpicked some of the best lawn sprinklers available on the market and created a detailed review on each of them. You’ll be getting full on specifications, pros and cons of each and every sprinkler mentioned here and additional information too. We’ll taking about different types of sprinklers, a mini guide on deciding your final purchase and some essential maintenance tips to make your resource last long.
You’ll be loading in lots of information so let’s get on with it without wasting much time!
Our Top 7 Best Sprinkler choices
1. Orbit 62100 Sprinkler with Day and Night Detection Modes
Making it to the top of the list effortlessly, we’ve got the Orbit 62100 Yard Enforcer. It’s undeniably the top rated, highly recommended lawn sprinklers available in the market at the moment. It doubles as a pest and animal deterrent too, while maintaining the price tag at 2 digits.
Besides the yard enforcer, you’ve also got two additional options at hand with this lawn sprinkler – the green enforcer and the garden enforcer. If fun and peace is your way of getting rid of animals that spoil your lawn’s beauty, this will be a great addition to your tool kit.
Keep animals and annoying neighbours with dogs far far away with this awesome sprinkler.
Top Features and Specifications
- The Orbit 62100 Sprinkler has an exclusive selection feature which gives you 3 modes (day, night and 24/7 protection) to choose from – the only one with such a feature in the market as of now!
- Features a high-level infrared sensor to detect possible threats easily within its 120 degrees wide arc.
- Defends area up to 40ft away, along with the 120 degree arc, giving you a total protection of 1600 square ft with just a single unit.
- Sturdy design model – has a heavy-duty dual step spike to have the device firmly placed in the soil.
- This motion-activated Orbit 62100 sprinkler enables you to have 30 minutes of watering at maximum with its timed watering feature.
- Ward off animals and pests in the most humane, harmless way of just spraying water with this deterrent-cum sprinkler.
- Take full control of the detection angle to put the line of sight in accordance with your needs.
- Easily expand the protected zone by buying additional impact sprinklers / enforcers to connect with the main unit.
2. GARDENA ZoomMaxx Sprinkler on Sled Base with Water Timer
If you’re up to buying a sprinkler with the best water flow capability in the market, this German-made Gardena ZoomMaxx sprinkler will be your long lost treasure quest.
This ultra functional sprinkler gives you the full control to decide on the spray volume, width, length, height, rotations etc. This sprinkler is better called as the Porsche of lawn sprinklers.
Let me take you through the detailed specifications and features so that you can decide for yourself.
Top Features and Specifications
- The Gardena ZoomMaxx spike sprinkler features a highly durable metal spike to ensure stable positioning.
- Gives you a wide coverage of 2300 ft which is quite an ample area to water any averagely sized lawn.
- This sprinkler set on a weighted sled base, will hand over to you the full control of the width, length and sector of water flow.
- It also includes a concise oscillating sprinkler so that even the smallest patches aren’t left out.
- Features 16 rubber nozzles for a better, more conclusive water distribution.
- Stability will never be in question as the device is sealed with a turbo gear driven unit along with the sled base.
3. Orbit 58308 Tripod Base with Brass Impact
The Orbit 58308 tripod base sprinkler with brass impact is the ideal sprinkler you’ll need for a very large lawn space. This commercial sprinkler has the full capability to take care of 6360 square ft area flawlessly. The sprinkler’s head comes with an impressive reach so that you wouldn’t have to worry about watering every nook of your lawn.
Top Features and Specifications
- The Orbit 58308Z tripod base sprinkler blesses you with a HUGE area coverage of 6360 sq ft when the control option is set to a full circle.
- Sprays water as far as 90 ft and the area coverage can be easily adjusted from a specific sector to full 360 degrees.
- The deflector shield and diffuser screw can be easily learnt to handle in order to customize the water flow/system and radius.
- Comes with a robust, metal tripod base to avoid bumps and can be easily extended up to 48 inches.
- Built to preserve its quality in the face of high water pressure and climatic conditions – no worries about rust or damage to the brass.
4. Melnor 65078-AMZ XT Turbo Oscillating Sprinkler
The Melnor 65078-AMZ XT turbo oscillating sprinkler might just be the lifesaver for people who are looking for a tough built sprinkler at a well affordable rate. This Melnor product is a great low-cost alternative for watering averagely sixed lawns, up to 4500 sq ft.
Take full charge of this device with its twin touch controls and Quick Connect system. Have a look at the full specifications and features below.
Top Features and Specifications
- Get an awesome area of coverage of 4500 sq ft with the Melnor 65078-AMZ XT turbo oscillating sprinkler unit.
- Comes with 20 precision nozzles to provide your lawn with the ultimate spray performance.
- Adjust your sprinkler’s settings in no time with the twin touch control option available in this sturdy creation of Melnor.
- Includes a Quick Connect adapter to easily connect and disconnect the sprinkler.
- The infinity turbo drive ensures that your lawn experiences a smooth watering session and increases the device’s lifetime.
5. Aqua Joe SJI-OMS16 Indestructible Metal Base Oscillating Sprinkler
The Aqua Joe SJI-OMS16 is simply put a standard sprinkler that’ll do the spraying job of yours effortlessly. You will be amazed at the range and coverage area of this awesome piece of work by Aqua Joe.
You will never regret taking a chance at this device as it works like a charm on both low and high water pressures. This oscillating sprinkler comes with a 2 year warranty too. Read on for the other details of this product.Top Features and Specifications
- Comes with 16 clog resistant rubber nozzle heads for maximum coverage.
- Gives you a total coverage of 3600 sq ft so that no part of your lawn gets left out.
- This sealed, turbo gear driven device is guaranteed to give you an unbeatable performance, worth the price you paid.
- It has leak resistant connections so that water is preserved as much as possible.
- Customize the coverage patterns as per your need with the adjustable range control feature.
- Features a built-in clean out tool to ensure spotless nozzles and to increase the device’s endurance.
6. Dramm Metal Base, Green 15024 ColorStorm 9-Pattern Turret Sprinkler
Looking for a turret sprinkler similar to spot sprinklers that can water your rectangular lawn? Look no further as the Dramm metal base ColorStorm 9-pattern turret sprinkler is the most recommended alternative for watering lateral wide targeted areas with ultimate ease.
Weighing just 0.9 lbs, this sprinkler is guaranteed to make your lawn lush and beautiful again. Let your kids have some fun too as this Dramm product comes with 6 enlighting colours to choose from.
Top Features and Specifications
- The Dramm ColorStorm turret sprinkler has 9 pattern options for you to choose the perfect one for your garden’s shape and size.
- This device has been peculiarly engineered with heavy duty construction parts so that it doesn’t get damaged even if stepped on it – talk about high durability!
- The water pressure needed for this sprinkler to operate up to its full capability is 90 psi. With a higher level of pressure, you’ll be able to enjoy the optimal spray power of this Dramm sprinkler.
- Comes in 6 bright, eye-catching colours. Your kids can have a little water thrill with this too!
- Has a molded hook which in turn gives way for compact and convenient storage in a small space.
- Lifetime guarantee! This turret sprinkler has lifetime guarantee from its seller.
7. WOVUU Lawn Sprinkler,Upgrade Garden Sprinkler
Now, brace yourself for the most favourite sprinkler for not just adults, but kids too! The WOVUU upgraded lawn sprinkler is a relatively simple but flawlessly designed product, built to do what it ought to.
At an extremely affordable rate, you’ll be getting a robust sprinkler and lots of additional parts as a bonus. The 36 nozzles (upgraded from 24) and 3, 4, 5 nozzle holes on each arm will make you wonder why this brilliant device wasn’t invented before.
Top Features and Specifications
- The WOVUU lawn sprinkler comes with 36 built in spray nozzles to allow you to adjust different coverage patterns according to your preferences.
- It features a 360 degree automatic rotating mechanism to water over a huge area of lawn thoroughly.
- Comes with a Quick Connect system that is perfectly compatible with both traditional rubber hoses and screw thread ones.
- This upgraded version boasts a new line design to increase its stability and durability.
- It has 3 adjustable nozzle modes on each arm and provides your lawn with a spray distance of 32.8 ft to 49.2 ft (depending on the water pressure you provide).
How Many Different Types of Lawn Sprinklers are there?
When it comes to lawn sprinklers, you’ll have a real headache to even choose what type of sprinkler you’re going to set for your lawn, let alone the brand or model part. Lawn sprinklers vary a ton in all sorts of shapes, operational flow, size, etc. So you have a full list of types of sprinklers to choose from and each one of those can be very tempting to buy.
To make stuff easier and more concise for you, I’ve got the 7 most common types of sprinklers with a quick glance of each.
Sprinkler hoses are technically a hybrid design of a sprinkler and a soaker hose. Generally, sprinkler hoses have a reach of up to 20 ft. These types of sprinklers are greatly useful for lawn with uneven shrubs, beds and trees.
In this type of sprinkler system, water is sprayed around at varied angles while the device rotates itself back and forth. These types of sprinklers are perfect for any type of garden or lawn as it ensures optimum supply of water droplets to all parts of the area covered.
Rotary sprinklers can have a distance range of up to 90 feet even, depending upon the water pressure. There are also different kinds of rotary sprinklers namely:
- Impact sprinklers – the most common and traditional type of rotary sprinklers. A little noisy but it does the job optimally in its given area (usually a smaller area of coverage only).
- Gear-driven sprinklers – this type of sprinkles rotate in a constant motion while spraying water continuously. Great for both commercial and residential use as they are completely maintenance-free and are considerably quieter than impact ones.
- Stream sprinklers – as the name itself suggests, these sprinklers spray streams of water in one direction at a time, making it a treat to the eyes for kids (and adults). Though as amusing as they are, clogs are a headache with these.
Oscillating sprinklers are metronome-like devices that look like a rectangular bar with multiple holes in them and move back and forth to spray water around. The functioning of this type of sprinkler is mainly due to water pressure. But…let’s not get into the mechanical part of it.
Just watching the way it sprays water is a relaxing activity as it typically resembles a cloth moving in waves. The maximum range it generally covers is about 20 ft, making it highly affordable and convenient for small to medium lawns.
You might have guessed from the name already – these are self-driven sprinklers that move around your lawn like a tiny tractor to water your grass and shrubs. They are commercial sprinklers, often seen in sports grounds and large gardens.
Residential owners can also take advantage of these devices if they’re sick of moving about a single unit of sprinkler across the lawn manually. Technology never hurts when it comes to these of sort of things!
The pop-up sprinklers are getting more love and appreciation day by day as they have multiple benefits associated with them. First thing first, it only pops up when it gets activated. Thus, no more kids (or even you) tripping over the sprinkler.
It gives your lawn a super clean and lush look without anything odd sticking out in the middle of nowhere. This is undoubtedly a more sophisticated type of sprinkler gaining popularity in the market.
Looking for a sprinkler just for your garden beds? Well, look no further as the misting sprinkler is ought to give you the perfect misty spray of water that doesn’t damage or over pressurize your flower beds.
These are designed to spray water at a very low rate so that there is no overflow or run-off. Though the distance range is pretty small as compared to other types of sprinklers, misting sprinklers are very much economical and easy to handle.
No explanation needed. Spot sprinklers are stationery – which means they stay put in one place and spray water according to a pattern customized by the user. Durability and stability are the key features in this kind of sprinklers as there’s no way they’re going to break or get damaged with a trip or a bump.
How to Choose the Best Lawn Sprinklers?
Choosing a sprinkler that goes well with your lawn or garden (besides the type of sprinkler part) can be as tough as it can get for some people who are skeptical about making the right purchases. Nothing wrong with that. I’m that way too. If I’m spending a good amount of my earnings on something that’s here to stay (hopefully), I’d want it to be the best possible choice for me.
So, here’s my checklist for sprinklers before I click on the ‘checkout’ button:
- Measure the area you want to be watered/protected
This is a common step whenever you’re buying anything that related to area or width. As you would have read above, sprinklers do vary a ton when it comes to coverage. So it’s highly advised that you have an approximate measure of your lawn.
- Type of sprinkler
After measuring your lawn’s area, you’d have a certain sq ft figured out in your mind. Simply choose the one that appeals to you the most. Oh and also decide on whether you want it to be a temporary or permanent thing.
- Compatible budget
A sprinkler that is compatible with your budget is essential. When it comes to sprinklers, depending on different models, you can buy expensive ones or low-cost ones which ultimately do the same job – that is, watering your lawn.
- Quality of materials used
Rust is the biggest enemy of metals, and durability is the opponent of plastic parts. Ensure your choice of product has a line somewhere in between. I’m sure you don’t want your sprinkler to get damaged or broken by an obese butterfly.
- Installation process
Some sprinklers are super easy to assemble and some can be quite complicated. The only way to figure this out is by checking out the reviews and explanations. This doesn’t mean you must back off from sprinklers with a complicated set up. No matter which model you choose, I bet there’s at least 1 video on the web giving a live step-by-step guide to install it.
- Clear note of the specifications
Specifications I’m referring to are such as distance range, angles, nozzles count, weight, patterns etc. Inevitably to be noted, of course.
- Additional Features
Though these are just attractive features at times, they can be of great use if utilized properly. Add on features I’m specially targeting are sensors, automated mechanisms, hose attachment features etc. (hint hint)
7 Tips on HOW TO MAINTAIN YOUR Lawn Sprinkler
Now that you’ve got your hands on your newly-bought lawn sprinkler, you might want to make sure you know how to properly maintain it so that it doesn’t get damaged sooner or later.
Don’t worry about having to search for it separately because I’ve got you covered about the essential maintenance tips you’d have to follow, right here. Why wait? Here we go with some of the main tips:
- Water when it needs to be watered
Firstly, watering grass might seem like a simple task. Well… it is – only if you don’t make it too complicated. Under-watering your grass will lead them to getting too dry and die. Overwatering leads to oversaturation which makes a clear way for potential diseases and fungus.
- Watering Sessions
Frequency of watering mainly depends on the environmental factor – spring, summer or winter. I usually recommend watering 3 times a week on average. Mornings and evenings are the best time to water as the evaporation rate is much lower at those times.
Run the hoses for hot water to flow out of the lawn first. The best time to open lawn sprinklers is typically between 4 am and 9 am. Why? It is because the air is very cool and the wind is calm.
- Monthly check of irrigation system
Simply put, do thorough inspections on your sprinkler(s) from time to time for leakages, loose parts, misdirected sprinkler heads etc. If any fixations are to be made, make them as soon as possible as these small mistakes can waste lots of dollars in the form of water.
Focus the sprinklers properly
The lawn sprinklers should be properly readjusted to focus on the area that needs to be watered as they can get easily misdirected due to slight bumps or loose screws. This is necessary to ensure that no part of the lawn gets under-watered or over saturated.
Proper monitoring of this can be done by checking for any puddles of water or dry grass in the lawn.
- Depth Watering
Depth watering of lawn should be reassured. It inevitably leads to depth root growth and makes the grass more resistant to diseases and fungus. This can also avoid unwanted plant growth brought about by shallow watering.
How is that to be done? You can easily achieve this by determining the depth of the root zone and how long the lawn sprinklers should be opened (until 1 inch on average). Normally, water should penetrate to a depth of eight to twelve inches for most grass. Six inches of soil penetration is the minimum you should aim for.
- Avoid water run-off
Never make way for water run-off. Why? This will end up being the sole reason for spoiling your garden’s neat look and can even make the pathways look unpleasant. Regulating the water flow and pressure of water will ensure this. Always go easy on new grass as they are not capable of retaining water from high pressures as well as mature ones.
- Work smarter according to the climate
Obviously, when it’s about to rain, sprinklers have no job to do. But we can’t always guess whether it’s going to rain today or not. To make life easier for you, install a rain sensor and it’ll do its job perfectly well. Rain gauges can also be of great help in these situations.
- Save on your water bills
Lastly, it should be realized if the entire lawn requires the same amount of water. Depending on the grass location and type of plants to be watered, watering durations can be reduced or increased considerably. For example, grass that’s in the full sun throughout the day needs more watering than grass in the shade.
There you go, that’s all I have for you on the topic of lawn sprinklers. I’m guessing that you’d have made up your mind on a particular sprinkler already, If not, read through the checklist again before your sprinklers shopping spree.
Take your time before paying for a product that is going to be used almost every now and then, as you wouldn’t fancy getting stuck with a defective unit of sprinkler. Oh, and as a reminder, look out for the guarantees and warranties too! (I know you people will)
Keep your lawn healthy and glowing by doing this small act of tenderness for yourself and the grass. What’s better than having a nice coffee in the lawn with the smell of fresh morning grass? Kids might have a great time too by running around the lawn and activating the sprinklers for a fun water play in the evening!
Get the best out of your lawn with the perfect sprinkler for you!